Working around heavy equipment (cranes and bundle pullers)
Every year heavy equipment operators, ground workers and pedestrians are injured or killed by heavy mobile equipment used in construction. Many of these incidents are the result of rollovers or by individuals being struck or crushed by equipment. In fact, “struck-by” deaths are one of the construction industry’s “Fatal Four” leading causes of death on the job site—of which 75% involve heavy equipment.1
Several conditions can contribute to struck-by injuries and fatalities, including:
- Falling materials and loads.
- Equipment operator blind spots.
- An operator dismounting and leaving equipment in gear, or not setting the brakes or wheel chocks.
- Equipment tip-over or rollover.
- Equipment or controls not locked out during maintenance.